The MSOE Financial Aid Office wanted to make you aware of some changes in regards to your financial aid eligibility.

Financial Aid Eligible Coursework
In the past, schools were only required to report whether students were registered as a full-time student, a half-time student, or a less than half-time student.  However, there is a new federal financial aid regulation that states that students must enroll in coursework that leads to a degree in their program of study to qualify for financial aid.  The purpose of this change is that the government wants to ensure that financial aid funds are being used for credits taken to complete graduation requirements. Any credits that are not a part of your program of study (i.e. curriculum track) are not eligible for federal or state financial aid.

If you are enrolled in 12 or more credits (full-time status) per quarter, regardless of your program of study, you will be eligible for MSOE gift aid. MSOE gift aid includes, but is not limited to, MSOE scholarships and grants.

There are a limited number of exceptions where coursework outside of your program track would be considered for federal and/or state financial aid. These include:

  • Coursework approved by an Academic Advisor which is used as a substitute for an existing course in the student’s program track.
  • Remedial coursework.
  • Coursework leading to a minor (student must declare minor with the Registrar’s Office).

What does this mean for you?

If our office determines that one or more of your classes does not qualify for federal and/or state financial aid, we will email you and your Advisor to determine if you have been granted special permission to take the course to meet a degree requirement. Any class that is determined to not meet your program requirements will be cause for an adjustment to your federal and state financial aid to reflect your enrollment level for your program. We will make final adjustments to aid at the end of week one of each quarter.

What can you do?

  1. Make sure you are taking classes in your program of study.
  2. If a class is not officially in your program, but you have received permission to take it to replace another class or as an elective required in your program, have your advisor send written documentation of your situation to the Registrar’s Office.
  3. If you need to take classes to maintain a certain enrollment status (i.e. full-time, half-time) check with your advisor on whether a minor or double major may allow you to keep that status and, if so, fill out the appropriate paperwork and submit it to the  Registrar’s Office.
  4. Visit the Financial Aid Office regarding possible changes to your enrollment status and the financial impact.

Repeat Coursework

Your enrollment level is determined by what you are registered for as of 4:30p.m. Friday of week one each term.  Repeated courses will be included in the determination of your enrollment status for financial aid purposes, which the exception of courses (grades A-d) that have been repeated more than once.

Example:  A student takes a class fall term and receives a D.  The student repeats the class winter term in hopes of getting a better grade and ends up receiving an F.  The student can repeat the course again but he/she would not receive financial aid for that course.  (Remember that when an undergraduate student takes a class and earns a grade below a C, if the class is re-taken the original grade is Grade Replaced.  This means that the second grade counts into the student’s GPA and the first grade is removed from the GPA.  In the example above, the student now has an F for that class and will need to take it again to meet a graduation requirement.)