As you know, the deadline for faculty to submit their grades is 4:30 pm today. As I indicated in a previous email, you can view your grades that have been entered via myMSOE. Log into myMSOE, click on the Students tab at the top, click on the Grade Info tab on the left, and then check your grades in the Unofficial Transcript or Course History section of the page. There are some updates that are done overnight tonight and early tomorrow to make sure your GPAs are correct, so GPAs are subject to change as we complete the process. Tomorrow at around noon, your official grade report will be available in myMSOE.
Some of you have checked your grades and have discovered that you unexpectedly (or expectedly) failed a class. I wanted to give you a little guidance on your next steps.
- If you realistically believe the grade is an error, contact your faculty member. There is always a slight chance that it is an error because of something like a calculation error or an assignment that didn’t get recorded. If your faculty member uses Blackboard to record individual assignments, lab and test grades, you can check the entries online to see if they match what you have recorded.
- Before you make changes to your winter schedule, I encourage you to touch base with your academic advisor to confirm the change you are going to make is the best choice.
- Check the prerequisites of the other classes on your schedule. If the course you failed is a prerequisite for another course, you will need to drop that course as well. Prerequisites are listed in the Course Description section of the academic catalog. You may need to adjust the catalog year to be applicable to your curriculum version (choose from dropdown menu in upper right). http://catalog.msoe.edu/
- It is preferred that you make needed changes to your schedule before Monday at 8:00 am so that you do not miss any content in your new course(s). But, if that is not possible, the absolute deadline to make changes to your schedule is 4:30 pm on Friday of the first week of the term.
- Undergraduates, if you will be retaking a course that you received a grade of F, D or CD, the course will automatically grade replace. This means that once you have completed the course the second time, the initial grade will no longer count into your grade point average. Grade-replaced grades will show on the transcript and will be noted with the original grade preceded by an R (RF, RD, RCD); they will not be averaged into your grade point average.
- A grade with an asterisk (F*, D*, etc.), indicates the grade is incomplete. If you are not sure why there was an incomplete grade recorded, please contact your instructor as soon as possible to resolve the issue.
- Undergraduate students, academic probation and academic suspension processing should be completed by the end of the day tomorrow. If any of your GPAs (term, cumulative and/or cumulative major) are below a 2.00, you are not in Good Standing. If that applies to you, an email will be sent to you by the end of the day on Wednesday and a letter will be sent via US Mail explaining your status.
There is additional information about grade replacements and incomplete grades available in the Academic Catalog.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Enjoy your break.
Milwaukee School of Engineering