SE Academic Advising

Version 17

    Advising policy

    All software engineering students are encouraged to meet with their advisor whenever they have questions regarding their academic and career plans. SE students must see their advisor quarterly to discuss academic and career plans and progress. They must receive their advisors' clearance before registering; the online registration system enforces this.

    You can meet with your advising before you receive your quarterly registration notice from the Registrar, so do not wait until the last week!

    Advising season typically starts in week 7.  Many advisors will post sign-up sheets with available advising slots their office door. Please sign up for one of these slots; signing up early will give you a wider choice of times. Some advisors will notify you of other appointment procedures (e.g., Outlook) or Google docs.

    What to bring to the meeting with your advisor


    The MSOE Registrar keeps track of the advisor assigned to each student. If you are not sure who your advisor is, you can find out by following these steps.

    1. Log in to
    2. Click Personal Info (next to your name in the top bar)
    3. Click Academic Info within the My Info window
    4. Your advisors will be listed in the first section.

    The SE advisors are Profs. Hasker, Hornick, Schilling, Taylor (advising info), and Yoder.  All their offices are located on the 3rd floor of the Library.

    Two-degree Tracks

    A two-degree track for a combined CE/SE dual major is available. This track follows a 5 year plan, but students have accelerated the course sequence and finished in one or two quarters beyond 4 years. Please see your advisor or CE program director (Dr. Durant) for more information.

    Transfer Courses

    If you have already taken or are interested in taking courses at a different institution and transferring the course to MSOE for credit, you may find the MSOE transfer manual to be useful.  The transfer manual shows course mappings for courses at other institutions to equivalent courses at MSOE.  If you have questions, please discuss them with your academic advisor.

    Closed Section Requests

    If you are unable to construct a schedule with all of the courses you need, you will need to follow the closed section request policy for the given course.  Details here.