The following guides provide students with the standards for documenting sources and preparing research reports at MSOE.
Undergraduate Style Guides
This guide may be used by undergraduate students to help in the writing of papers and reports. The guide contains the following information:
- standards formats to follow for documenting sources
- guidelines for writing, such as common grammar and punctuation issues
- formatting requirements for reports
- copyright and plagiarism issues
- common documentation errors to avoid
Check with your instructor to see if you should use the MSOE Undergraduate Style Guide. Many other style guides exist (e.g., MLA, APA, Chicago), and instructors may require undergraduate students to use one of these style guides.
Graduate Style Guides
MSOE requires the use of style guides for a number of graduate-level documents, including thesis documents, capstone design project reports, capstone reports, and specialty papers. Please consult the Program Director in your graduate degree program in order to determine the style guide requirements in your specific degree program.
Graduate Students in Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Perfusion, and Structural Engineering are required to use this guide.
The purpose of this guide is to provide graduate students in designated graduate programs at the Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) with guidance on questions of format, style and documentation during the writing of required thesis work and capstone reports.
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Sixth Edition
Graduate Students in Business Administration, Construction and Business Management, Engineering Management, Marketing and Export Management, New Product Management, Medical Informatics and Nursing in Healthcare Systems Management are required to use this guide.
- This style guide is available for purchase in the MSOE Bookstore.
- Copies of this style guide are available in the Reference section in the MSOE library.
Call Number: REF BF76.7 .P83 2010
- Circulating copies are available for checkout.
Call Number: BF76.7 .P83 2010
APA Style Guide to Electronic References, Sixth Edition
This style guide supplements the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Sixth Edition.
- This style guide supplement is available on the MSOE network to authorized MSOE users (current MSOE students, faculty, staff, and library walk-in traffic). The path is: Computer (M:) → MSOE → Library Ebooks→ Business
- The MSOE library has an institutional license in order to distribute this PDF copy of the supplement in a secure manner to authorized MSOE users.
- Authorized users may use the supplement for non-commercial use. Each authorized user may print one copy for personal use only.
- Authorized users are not permitted to distribute electronic and print copies of this supplement, although MSOE faculty are permitted to print paper copies of the supplement for distribution in MSOE academic courses, but not for broader distribution.